Before making a maintenance request, please use this guide first to avoid any unnecessary call outs.
- Have you checked your fuse box? There may have been an overload and the safety switch has been activated and needs resetting.
- Have you checked that one of your appliances is not faulty? Unplug all appliances in the house. Reset the safety switch in the meter box. Plug in the fridge and turn
on the power point, check the safety switch. If the safety switch clicks off then you know that there is a fault with the fridge and you need to get it repaired. Otherwise disconnect the fridge and
plug in the stereo and continue checking all appliances until the faulty appliance is located.
- Have you contacted your Electricity Company? There may be a fault in the street.
- If you live in an apartment or townhouse check if your neighbour has power?
No hot water
Have you arranged for the connection of your Gas or Electricity when you moved?
If it is an Electric Hot Water System
- Have you checked to see if your hot water system needs refilling/topping up? There is normally a copper valve on electric hot water systems and an overflow pipe. You
may need to pull up this lever until a flow of water starts coming out of the overflow pipe. This needs to carried out every six months or so.
- Have you checked the fuse in the meter box?
- Have you checked that the water tap on the hot water system itself is turned on?
If it is a Gas Hot Water System
- Have you checked to see if your pilot light has gone out? Some units can be easily relit; others may require a tradesperson.
Lights are not working or power points not working
- Have you checked your fuse box? If there has been an overload the safety switch may need resetting.
- Have you replaced the light bulb?
Garbage disposal is not working
- Is it turned on at the switch underneath the sink?
- Have you attempted to reset the safety switch? This is normally a little red or black button underneath the bottom of the garbage disposal unit. You may need to bend
down find this switch. This switch can be activated by an overload and simply needs to be reset.
- Is there a blockage in the sink/blades? IMPORTANT – Before putting your hands or a utensil down the sink to check for blockages – make sure unit is turned off at the
wall and unplugged.
Kitchen / bathroom sink is blocked
If you have a major blockage please report it to your property manager. If your sink is taking a lot time to drain away the water try one of the following:
- Try using Draino to free the blockage?
- Have you cleared hairs and old soap from the waste & “u” bend? Put a bucket under the pipe, Unscrew the pipe under the sink (where possible) remove the hair and
old soap and re-screw the pipe back together. Pour boiling water down the drain, this should clear the blockage.
- Have you removed old food from the kitchen waste & poured boiling water down the drain? Do not put fat and oil into the drain as these will clog up the
Washing machine is not working
- Are the washing machine taps turned on at the wall?
- Have you checked to make sure that the appliance is turned on at the wall?
- Have you checked that the lid is closing properly?
- If the machine has stopped half way through a cycle you may have overloaded the machine or that it is out of balance, rearrange the items evenly in the
Dryer is not working
- Dryers can automatically shut down due to overload of lint in the filter. Have you checked to see if the filter needs cleaning out?
Garage remote control is not working
- Have the batteries gone flat?